Welcome to Freedom Optimist Soccer!
Freedom Optimist Soccer offers a recreational soccer league in Eldersburg and Sykesville, MD for boys and girls from age 3 to seniors in high school.
To receive the quickest updates regarding weather related game and practice updates, field status and other information, Like our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter.
For weather and field information call the Freedom Area Rec Council Hotline at (410) 549-6296.
Spring 2021 Update
All games for Sunday, March 28th have been cancelled due to weather conditions.
Exclusive Dick’s Sporting Goods Shopping Savings
Dick’s Sporting Goods has partnered with Freedom Optimist Soccer again!
Be sure to take advantage of the year-long special offers linked to below from our partner DICK’S Sporting Goods.
These offers can be used in stores NOW, and the link is specific to our organization. Make sure to click the link to find a printable version of the coupons to bring into the store.
Every Season Starts at DICK’S Sporting Goods!
Weather Hotline and Heat, Thunder & Lightning Policies
Call the Freedom Area Rec Council hotline at (410) 549-6296
to check on field availability. On weekdays the message is updated by 3pm.
Carroll County Recreation and Parks Heat, Thunder & Lightning Policy
Thunder and Lightning: At the first sound of Thunder or the first sighting of Lightning
– All outdoor recreation council activities are to be stopped and the participants must clear the fields to a protected area and wait 30
minutes before activities can resume. Any additional occurrence restarts the 30 minute count until activities can resume. You can read the official policy at County Heat, Thunder and Lightening Policy.
Approximately 30 minutes prior to the start of the activity, temperature and heat index reading should be taken at the site or from www.weather.com
or a comparable source. The following are recommended guidelines for coaches, program leaders and volunteers to follow with regards to Department sponsored youth activities:
- Heat Index: 80-89 – Use caution; monitor athletes carefully for necessary action.
- Heat Index: 90-104 – Use extreme caution; remove helmets and other equipment if not involved in contact.
- Heat Index: 105-129 – Alter uniforms by removing items where feasible; practice should be shortened with low intensity & limited conditioning.
- Heat Index: 130 & above – NO practices or games. Activities should be rescheduled for early/late in the day or an alternate date when the heat index is lower.
Use Weather Channel (PDF) or National Weather Service (HTML) to calculate Heat Index.
Volunteer Information – Background Check Requirements – REVISED SPRING 2021
Starting Spring 2021:
All volunteers must also complete and send in Volunteer Registration Form
. This is in addition to the background check.
If you are volunteering in our program as a Coach, Assistant Coach or Team Parent you must register as a volunteer. Make sure you register yourself at https://farc.siplay.com and select the Volunteer option. There is no cost to register.
To start your background check, go to Carroll County’s custom application online submitting portal at https://carrollcountyrecreationandparks.quickapp.pro/positions and click the Apply button for Freedom Area.
- All volunteers are required to abide by Carroll County Department of Recreation and Parks Code of Conduct
- Volunteering is a privilege, not a right; volunteers serve at will and may be released at any time
- All volunteers serving youth must be credentialed and wear their volunteer ID badge at the time of service
- $3.00 replacement fee for volunteer ID badges
Volunteers 18 and older must complete the Carroll County background check. Carroll County Department of Recreation and Parks requires background checks for all Board Members, Head Coaches, Assistant Coaches and Team Parents involved in youth sports who are 18 and over. There is no cost to any volunteer for the background check.
For volunteers younger than 18, a legal guardian must complete the Minor Consent Volunteer Waiver Form (PDF).
Additional instructions to complete the background check can be found in the attachment Carroll County Background Check Requirements (PDF).