All upper division teams play in the playoff tournament for their respective division. Seeding is determined by the regular season standings.
- 3 Points
- 1 Point
- 0 Points
- Coach head-to-head record
- Least goals allowed
- Coin toss
All regular season rules apply for End of Season Playoff Tournaments with the following exceptions:
- Teams are not required to play at equal strength.
- No match may end in a tie.
In the event of a tie at the end of regulation 5-minute Overtime Periods will be played to determine the winner.
Coaches will have three (3) minutes at the end of regulation to select the players for the first overtime period. These players did not have to be on the field at the end of regulation. All other players report to the sideline.
A coin toss will be held. The higher seeded team will call the flip. The winner of the coin toss selects which goal they want to defend.
Each 5-minute overtime period will commence with a drop ball at midfield. One player from each team may be inside the Center Circle for the drop ball. All other players must remain outside the Center Circle until the ball is touched.
All regular FIFA and division specific season rules apply for overtime periods with the following exceptions:
- There will be NO goalkeepers.
- There will be NO Offside calls.
- Substitutions are allowed only between overtime periods or in the case of an injury. If an injured player comes off, the opposing team will be allowed one substitution at the same time (i.e. one for one).
- If a penalty kick is awarded during any overtime period, the defending team may place a defender on the goal line in front of the net. This defender is not a goalkeeper and therefore may use any part of their body except their hands during the penalty kick.
If the score remains tied at the end of the first overtime period, two (2) players from each team will be removed from the field. If the score remains tied at the end of the second overtime period, two (2) more players from each team will be removed from the field. Finally, if the score remains tied at the end of the third overtime period, two (2) more players from each team will be removed from the field for all remaining overtime periods.
|Overtime Period||Match Format||Substitutions?||Goalkeepers?||Offside Calls?|
|1st Period||9 v 9||NO||NO||NO|
|2nd Period||7 v 7||NO||NO||NO|
|3rd Period On||5 v 5||NO||NO||NO|
Coaches will have one (1) minute between overtime periods to remove players and perform substitutions.
Any red cards given during the overtime period will be treated as if issued during regulation. This means that the team will play a player down for the remainder of the match for each player issued a red card.
The match will end upon the score of a goal by either team – the “Golden Goal” rule.
Download an offline copy here: FOS End of Season Playoff Tournament Format